Archive for the ‘Video’ Category
What up tho,
I got the opportunity to do a track with Jenilee of Kinfolk 9 for her upcoming mixtape. REMIXXXXXX…..check it out.
[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28279676" params="show_comments=true&auto_play=false&color=6e0156" width="100%" height="81" ]
How’d you like it?! We made the top 3 and now we need your votes. You can help us become the champions of The Sing-Off. The show is in it’s 3rd season and we’ve seen Nota and Committed win it all. Now, vote for Urban Method in 3 ways…
TEXT “2″ to 97979
Check out All of the Lights from Kanye West here.
We’ll soon post the Mashup from Earworm featuring Peggy Lee’s Fever and Nelly’s Hot in Here!
Well, happy Thursday, Urban Method folks! It’s Kim Dawson again with some lovely tidbits for your eyes and ears.
I’m a jazz vocalist and a huge jazz fan. I often find that people don’t really like jazz because they think that it’s cheesy or it’s slow or it’s too complicated. Or, they think it’s old folks’ music, and you can’t really groove at all to it. I say, bah! There are so many different styles of jazz out there. Jazz isn’t always a saxophone playing a lot of loud notes at lightning speed, doing something only music nerds can really appreciate. And it isn’t cheesy songs that Las Vegas lounge musicians sing while lying across a grand piano. There are a lot of amazing jazz musicians, and notably, a lot of amazing YOUNG jazz musicians, making some awesome music out there. My favorite thing about music is that each genre, style, or what-have-you continues to evolve. You can find elements of latin music, r&b, hip hop, and classical music in it. And that’s why I love it! Music is just awesome! Here are some of my favorite jazz musicians out there today. Happy listening!
1. Gretchen Parlato
2. Esperanza Spalding
3. Kurt Elling
- Crab Scratch–It’s an imitation of a record scratch using an inward breath with a shaping of the thumb and pointer finger. The result is actually a highly controllable noise that Richard used in “Love the Way You Lie” by Eminem and Rihanna to “bleep” out the swear words.
- Vibraslap–A crazy little percussion instrument used for all kinds of reasons. Used in “Just Can’t Get Enough” by the Black Eyed Peas as a transition into the “Switch Up” part. It’s done with a tongue roll while breathing out and mouthing an “F” shape.
- Vocal Guitar–The electric guitar sound is done by getting a buzz while mouthing an “F” shape and “W” shape at the same time. Then humming, you can get a pitched noise. It’s used in “Dance to the Music” by Sly and the Family Stone during the solo sections.
- Shuffle–A fast snare pattern used for the intro of “Poison” by Bell Biv Devoe. The pattern is “pf, pf, pt, tf, pf, pt, tf, pt, tf, psh” for those who wanna give it a shot!
- The Cricket–I’ll keep it a secret for now; if you can do it, post a video and I’ll spread it around!